- This event has passed.
Javelin 2020 South Pacific Championships & Australian Titles – Postponed!!
April 10, 2020 @ 08:00 - April 13, 2020 @ 17:00
Regatta postponed in response to Coronavirus issue.
Statement by Javelin Association
Unfortunately due to the ongoing issues associated with Coronavirus we have had to postpone the titles which were to held over Easter at Lake Cootharaba Sailing Club Noosa.
We have obviously been watching events unfold over the past weeks and days and had decided to hold off the decision until more information became available. However it was inevitable from last night as it became obvious that our NZ fleet would be unable to travel.
We have also been in contact with the Lake Cootharaba Sailing Club today who have now cancelled all regattas that were to be held at the club over Easter 2020. The club and immediate community have a large contingent of elderly members/residents and it is simply not worth the risk. Further, it may unfold that the council could potentially close public spaces, parks, camping sites, etc, therefore making it impossible to hold the regatta. With all this uncertainty and the costs associated with transporting boats, etc we arrived at the only sensible decision for everyone concerned.
Obviously there has been accommodation, flights and other arrangements, that for many, that have been in place for some time.
We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused, however as we sure you will understand, we were left with no other choice. We will be talking to everyone over the next few months to arrange a new date which at this stage we hope to be Easter 2021 at Lake Cootharaba. We would like to thank everyone who worked very hard behind the scenes to arrange the regatta on behalf of the Javelins and also the committee of The Lake Cootharaba Sailing Club.
Statement by Lake Cootharaba Sailing Club
LCSC is very sorry to advise that the Executive and Sailing Committee of the Club have decided to cancel all our Easter Regattas because of the anticipated situation with Covid-19 cases.
We’ve taken this step in the interest of supporting not only our sailors and volunteers, but also the general public, by playing our part in the effort to slow down the spread of the virus at a time when the number of cases is predicted to be so high that it may get beyond the capacity of our healthcare system.
We were expecting up to 100 boats and their skippers, crew, and supporters to attend the regattas, including many from interstate and overseas. We apologise for any inconvenience that the cancellation may cause, but hopefully taking this proactive action now will allow our intended visitors to cancel accommodation and travel arrangements in a timely manner and to look for alternatives during the Easter holidays.
This is a very disappointing outcome for our club and we regret having to take this step.
LCSC is looking forward to welcoming you back at the lake when this health crisis has been resolved.